Being Asian, I always enjoy eating food from different Asian cultures, particularly ones that are close to my own culture. So when I saw that Amazon had a Lemongrass Steak, I figured I would give it a try. It look about 30 – 40 minutes to make containing 660 calories per serving (2 servings) once cooked.
Basic Info about Amazon Boxes:
- Feeds two adults.
- All ingredients are included except the Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Salt and Pepper.
- Prices vary between $17 to $22
- Directions are included with picture of the final meal
- Some ingredients are already chopped for you but there are also other ingredients that need to be chopped or cut/sliced while something else is cooking. The ingredients that are usually pre sliced or chopped are onions (thank goodness!)
Now on to my review of the Lemongrass Steak:
- Cost $19.99
- Net Weight of 2 pounds 4 ounces (1.02 kg)
- Lasts up to 2 to 3 days in the fridge before it expires. Expiration is always on the box.
- Made the dinner in about 30 to 40 minutes because I didn’t cook the steak before I made the cucumber tomato salad.
- One big takeaway that I got from this meal kit is on how to soften a hard lime. Before a noncom, I didn’t know this simple trick of rolling the lime to soften it before I can squeeze out the juice. Mind blown, lol.
- I would cook the beef as soon as possible because it will reduce the time to less than 30 minutes. I mistakenly waited until I made the salad and then had to wait for the beef to cook.
- I baked the steak at exactly 10 minutes and no longer for a medium rare steak. It had indicated a “medium” steak but it was more medium rare because it was a thick piece of steak. I should have measured it prior so I would know next time if I had to readjust the time due to the thickness. I will be sure to do that and then update the post.
- The salad was easy and straight forward to make. There is NOT enough for left overs but if you want additional salad, I would purchase another small cucumber and add a few more tomatoes.
- The rice, no matter how long you cook in the microwave I always feel it is undercooked, If you have your own rice cooker, I would make the rice on your own. It usually takes 20 to 30 minutes using a rice cooker, therefore I would start the rice before the steak.
- Scale of 1 to 10 for a Meal regarding taste: 8; with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.
- Scale of 1 to 10 for an Amazon Meal Kit regarding taste: 8.
- Scale of 1 to 10 on level of difficulty: 2; 1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult. Quick and easy to make.
This wasn’t bad at all. I actually enjoyed this meal because it did remind me of home. The only thing I would add is more lemongrass, lol. Other than that, it was delicious.