For the past two months Amazon Meal Kits did not change and I had to repeat several meals that I was growing tired of. I mean, after you eat a meal over and over again, don’t you become bored with the meal? Even if you had initial felt thrill when first devouring it? Thank goodness Amazon Go finally restocked their shelves with new meal kits. I purchased three right away, because why not?
Since I love pasta and it is such an easy meal to cook, I ended up making the Rigatoni Beef Bolognese. It look about 30 minutes to make containing 740 calories per serving (2 servings) once cooked.
Basic Info about Amazon Boxes:
- Feeds two adults.
- All ingredients are included except the Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Salt and Pepper.
- Prices vary between $17 to $22
- Directions are included with picture of the final meal
- Some ingredients are already chopped for you but there are also other ingredients that need to be chopped or cut/sliced while something else is cooking. The ingredients that are usually pre sliced or chopped are onions (thank goodness!)
Now on to my review of the Rigatoni Beef Bolognese:
- Cost $18.99
- Net Weight of 2 pounds 3 ounces (0.99 kg)
- Lasts up to 2 to 3 days in the fridge before it expires. Expiration is always on the box.
- Made the dinner in about 30 minutes, plus or minus 5 minutes.
- The first thing you should do is boil a pot of water that is 3/4 full with salt. Once the water has boiled, add the snap peas. Only boil for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Take the snap peas out of the pot (without draining the water) and blanch with cold water to preserve the color and the texture of the peas. Add oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to the cooked snap peas.
- Add the pasta into the boiler water (that previously cooked the snap peas). Again, the amount of pasta that was provided is NOT enough for two people but for one. I was smart enough to purchase an additional package of rigatoni from the local super market.
- Before I sauteed the beef, I pulled the beef a part first so I could cook the beef faster and thoroughly. The beef that was provided was 0.44 pounds which I feel was not enough for the pasta sauce. I would add an addition quarter pound or even half a pound more.
- The sauce took more than 7 minutes to thickened and I think adding 1 cup of hot water may have been too much. I would reduced the water to half or 3/4 cups. The marinara sauce that was provided was 7.05 ounces. I would purchase a 10 ounce marinara sauce to replace the 7.05 ounces that were provided to add more flavor.
- I would also purchased additional ricotta cheese to blend into the sauce and to top the snap peas.
- Scale of 1 to 10 for a Meal regarding taste: 7; with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.
- Scale of 1 to 10 for an Amazon Meal Kit regarding taste: 7. I’ve had better pasta meals from Amazon.
- Scale of 1 to 10 on level of difficulty: 2; 1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult. Quick and easy to make.
Would I purchase this again? Yes I would due to its easiest and taste. It wasn’t bad but with a few adjustments it can be better. Looking forward to eating this again.